Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Fondling a Story

Oohhh, baby, have things been stirring for me since attending "Walking into Fire." I'm moving from playing with this idea of being a writer into seeing what it feels like to live into it. My morning routine has shifted and I've added meditation into my practice and have revived my relationship with morning pages. It's like picking back up with a long lost friend - there's no lag in the conversation and topics bounce all over the place.

I'm resisting the urge to censor and refine my words here, because this is not the place for my "polished" work. Here is where I move one step up from morning pages and meet the discipline (& fear) of putting something out into the world. I'm also doing it without much thought (really?)WAAAYYY to whether or not anyone reads - even though I've noticed my reader comments are down. Oh those pesky little voices that keep us from moving forward, huh?

During the retreat on Saturday we were asked the question "What is my story as writer" in line with having a FALSE investment. This reminded me of a phrase used in Steering by Starlight called "story fondlers" referring to people who hang onto stories that keep them stuck and not moving forward. This morning I thought I'd share my personal response. It is so like my life (not surprising), because there are bits of truth woven in with a whole lot of you've-got-to-be-kidding-me!!

Writers are brilliant and know what they're going to say before they ever start writing. They understand their plot and characters and the work comes easily to them. All it takes is setting aside the time and their story will come out with little need for revision and filling in the blanks. Their stories come out rich and developed and ready for copy editing. The words flow like water and the structure falls into place without blood, sweat and tears. They send their manuscript off to be received by every publishing house they submit to.

Well, that's my story and I'm NOT sticking to it - except of course that writers ARE brilliant!! In the meantime, I'll continue to tweak my schedule, listen to my gut and WRITE!!

So, my dear friends. What's the story you fondle that keeps you from living your brilliant life?

"Steppin' out" - © lucy 2010

7 comments:

Maureen said...

Love that collage!

Kayce aka lucy said...

thanks, maureen -- i can't help but believe you have some shareable stories around being a writer... ;)

Hope said...

Everywhere I turn lately the things I feel I need to be doing to be the best me I can be keep staring me in the face. Like meditation and writing.

Kayce aka lucy said...

hope - so... are you meditating and writing? ;)

Hope said...

yes and no. meditating - no. writing - just the blog.
thinking though.

Dianna Woolley said...

My buddies M'L & Lauri are participating in a Julia Cameron workshop and don't really participate so fully in the discipline of 3 pages of mpages.........you can imagine the loving "blast" I gave them on just how important it is to WRITE. Now, if I'll only take my own advice and get back to blogging.......!!!!

xoxo

claire bangasser said...

Great collage, lucy! I love it!