Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Labyrinth of Life

I’ve been away from this page too long, so today I invite you on a literal and metaphorical journey through the labyrinth of my life. This past month I have stepped through many doors, beginning with a weekend I spent with my grad school buddies. Together, we have been through thick and thin. We’ve discovered our mothers, hated them, loved them and become mothers ourselves. We have filled and emptied our nests. Buried our parents. We’ve become grandmothers, new moms and orphans. We’ve laughed hysterically, wept relentlessly and grown beyond our narrow boundaries. Our hearts have been like melting chocolate, swirling and fading in steaming milk. Comfort brings us home.

This month I have relived the birth of my son and his life of disarray. What can I even say? I’ve held him in my arms and he in mine, and so the journey goes… There is green, new life and growth. The touch of a hand. Swirling life around the edges. The roots of messiness piercing the whimsy of freedom, brilliance and light. I can feel it as I spin around the side. A new song, starry night, candles in the wind and paper umbrellas in a magical sky. (Phoenix remembered). Stripes of brilliance and color smash up against the gray of despair. Grief is always near. The cup of celebration teases me and then disappears as I round the corner to more light and celebration.

Petals of white greet me before being pierced by the messiness of more necessary growth. My hands hold it all as witness to the brokenness and darkness that is both parenthood and childhood. The path continues. I cannot stop now. Will I open or close my eyes to despair? I choose to feel the life that comes from releasing emotion. Light and dark blur together until I can’t tell which is which, and still life dances around the edges and angels offer me the cup of salvation as the center reveals it all – light, shadow & life. The embers glow and beckon me to continue the journey.

Golden light leads the way out. Fresh pink and spring green remind me that roots are essential and seeds grow into strong trees. (A sister. A friend.) Closed eyes offer prayer and meditation as they touch the heart within. (A workshop.) The shadows hold new life and there is nourishment in the messiness. Roots point the way to sweet nectar. (A prom & more.) Celebrate. Celebrate where you’ve been – the darkness – the brilliance – the new song of swirling life. Take in the colors and shapes that are this life. Hold them all. Celebrate birth and death. They all lie within your beautiful perfect heart. Amen.

labyrinth collage - designed & created by KSH 6.2011

12 comments:

Stacy Wills said...

just what i needed today...thank you.

betsy said...

wow! beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Very touching. Blessings. Pamela

Ted Marshall said...

Swirlingly beautiful.

Kayce aka lucy said...

i'm so touched to receive each of your remarks! (frankly, i was kind of surprised to see anyone's reading...)

blessings on your own journey!!

Tenar said...

Super beautiful post Lucy !!

Heard this quoted in a lecture long ago
(don't know the credit) but
on the Spiral Labyrinth remember —

"Turning, turning, turning round,
by constant conversion you come out right —
even built into architectural laws,
there has to be a give."

Karen said...

Just lovely...

Kayce aka lucy said...

tenar - fabulous quote! thank you so much for sharing. i'm doing a retreat tomorrow and using the spiral labyrinth, so may have to borrow this!
peace

Kayce aka lucy said...

thanks, karen...

Dianna Woolley said...

Amen, indeed - a lovely story-poem-prayer.
Xoxo

Kel said...

what an intriguing labyrinth collage
am I right in guessing its a badge or button size?

Kayce aka lucy said...

thanks, dw. xoxoxo


kel - this is actually on a 9-10" cake round :) how's it going down under?