Monday, January 19, 2009

blazing a trail

Earlier this afternoon while pondering why it was that I so desperately felt like I needed a nap even after almost 10 hours of welcome sleep last night, it dawned on me that I have been going non-stop since the beginning of the New Year. It has been wild and wonderful and I have to admit just a bit exhausting.

I started the New Year with a trip to Denver for my husband’s aunt and uncle’s 50th wedding anniversary. It was a blessed event and a glorious celebration of the lives of two very special people plus their four amazing children & spouses and numerous grandchildren. It was a special treat for my family of four as we traveled, laughed, lived and even danced together for a few days.

My next stop was Lubbock, Texas and a trip outside town to Brazos de Dios ranch where I helped facilitate a Soltura workshop for five amazing men ranging in age from 25 to 58. There is something incredibly special for me to work with men and watch as their hardened armor drops away and tender hearts shine through. It was a blessed way to spend several days.

I arrived home late the night of January 11 (after a delayed flight) and began a Full week which included:

• beginning of term meetings at Mars Hill,
• planning sessions for a new Supervision Group for Compassionate Listeners that I have the privilege of co-facilitating with the amazing Christine Paintner,
• my first taste of the Memoir Writing Class I am taking at the University of Washington Extension,
• my first ever drumming class with Simone LaDrumma. (I bought myself a djembe for Christmas and talked sweet hubby into coming along for the lessons ☺),
• Thursday morning’s first session of our Supervision Group. Six amazing women make up our group and they each brought a spirit of yearning and delight to our initial meeting. I was excited to lead the expressive arts time which is a real stretch for someone who as little as two years ago did not consider herself an artist ☺!
• Friday brought another packed suitcase and the short flight to Walla Walla to connect with my sister for an art retreat weekend in Pendleton, Oregon that she purchased at an auction in 2008.
• Saturday, four of us trekked to Pendleton and spent the day in the presence of master printmaker Frank Janzen at Crow’s Shadow. Wow! This part of the experience was definitely more about process than product, but I have to admit that I am moderately pleased with my first efforts. And, it was a blast to do!!
• Sunday we awoke and headed to the studio of Roberta Lavadour and spent the day making our own handmade books. So much fun and I love my new journal!!
• Sunday afternoon I returned to Seattle and went from airport to my daughter’s basketball game after which I vegged in front of the tv watching “You’ve Got Mail.” ☺

So, all of that leads me back to this afternoon and my serious pondering of a nap! As you might guess, this also accounts for my cutback in posts and comments via the blogosphere, but hey, I am having some kind of fun!!!

I’m not sure where all of this is leading, but I am definitely Ablaze with lots of creativity and fullness!!!

Wishing you a Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day and hoping you find yourself awakened to whatever lights your fire!!!


photos from brazos de dios, january 2009

7 comments:

Barbara said...

After reading your post, I feel like taking a nap. ;)

Anonymous said...

Tired? Heavens, I wonder why???

Dianna Woolley said...

Whew!!

From my a.m. reading in LECTIO DIVINA/Paintner & Wynkoop, page 60

"Time is the gift of realization that wherever we are, whatever is happening, is the stuff of God."

xoxo

Anonymous said...

oh lucy, you so make me smile on so many levels. I am tired too after reading your post, but mostly I am just filled with deep joy at all you are discovering you are capable of. with great affection, C

Anonymous said...

You have been on my mind, and then poof, there you are! I also watched 'You Got Mail" this weekend! Thanks for stopping by, Lucy. I am off owrk and I am going to embroider a "Peanuts" sweatdhirt today, maybe I'll post some pics. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Lucy! And to your sweet Hubby too. I LOVE that you've been so busy. I am a bit jealous and find myself living vicariously through you. Fortunately, we are all ONE so there's no problem there.

Me? I find myself basking in the expansive afterglow of the high joy vibration of Obama's inauguration. Feeling connected. Nice.

Namaste,

Brett

lucy said...

woohoo...thank you all for showing up and connecting here with me!! peace.