Friday, February 16, 2007

Hearts Aching with Joy


“We are ignored even though we are well known. We live close to death, but we are still alive. We have been beaten, but we have not been killed. Our hearts ache, but we always have joy. We are poor, but we give spiritual riches to others. We own nothing, and yet we have everything.” II Corinthians 6:9-10.

To breathe in ALL that God offers is to live an embodied life. This morning, I was drawn to the above verses written in my journal at a time that felt more like the whirl of a hurricane than a peaceful spring morning. These days I continue to be drawn to the wonder of the simple things like breath and waiting. I live in awe of this quiet existence. I am doing work I love. People I care about (both far and near) surround me with their love. I feel healthy and strong. My heart is filled with gratitude for this life and at times I wonder if I should feel a little guilty for being so happy.

In God’s graciousness, however, I am reminded of the times (present and past) when my heart has ached and broken. Somehow, there is rest in remembering the suffering. There is release in realizing that through God’s grace and compassion, I can find calm in the midst of the storm and know it is o.k. to have joy.

Lord, today may I breathe in ALL that you offer me, knowing that heartache and joy are both who I am.

“All spiritual warriors have a broken heart—alas, must have a broken heart—because it is only through the break that the wonder and mysteries of life can enter us.” Mark Nepo

award-winning photo by bill hughlett

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful quote Kayce, thanks for reminding me of it. There is great gift in our sorrow when we are willing to walk fully into it. The photo is amazing as well. Blessings to you my friend, Christine

Anonymous said...

I continue to "watch [your] show!" (January 31). I watch with hope. Some of the hopes are shared, some are personal. Many of your aches are beyond my comprehension. I do try to take a few steps with you.

Dave

Kayce aka lucy said...

Christine & Dave--

I am so blessed to have you both on this journey with me. Thank you for your words and steps.

love, lucy