Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Tribute to John O'Donohue 1956-2008


A BLESSING FOR EQUILIBRIUM.
BY JOHN O’DONOHUE, from ‘Benedictus – A Book of Blessings’

Like the joy of the sea coming home to shore,
May the music of laughter break through your soul.

As the wind wants to make everything dance,
May your gravity be lightened by grace.

Like the freedom of the monastery bell,
May clarity of mind make your eyes smile.

As water takes whatever shape it is in,
So free may you be about who you become.

As silence smiles on the other side of what’s said,
May a sense of irony give you perspective.

As time remains free of all that it frames,
May fear or worry never put you in chains.

May your prayer of listening deepen enough
To hear in the distance the laughter of God.

found at god is not elsewhere

4 comments:

Dianna Woolley said...

My favorite verse was -

As water takes whatever shape it is in,
So free may you be about who you become.

xoxoxo

The Dream said...

LOVE this!

Kayce aka lucy said...

SS & dream--so glad to have you share this with me!

Kathryn Knoll said...

I loved John's writing and his insight! I am so sad he is gone from this side. Though we didn't know each other personally, I do hope he will come and inspire my writing. I am well aware of how powerfully present those who have crossed to the other side are. I know they often look for willing outlets to flow their creativity through. I would love to bring even an inkling of his genius through. Thank you for this tribute. I may have to go back a read his works again.