Thursday, October 29, 2009

Wondering...

Returning home, I find myself walking between multiple worlds. The ancestral mind and time for intentionality and presence were abundant on my recent trip. Back in Seattle, on a 'thin day' where the space between heaven and earth almost disappears, I experience a sense of floating and being grounded all at the same time. My own words fail me and so I turn to words of another and images of my own.

Today, I continue a journey that started who knows when as I head to Hood Canal with my wonderful sister to a retreat called "Honoring the Ancestors." My heart is already overflowing and I wonder if it can hold anymore. Wondering leads my way both past and present...

I move among the ankles
of forest Elders, tread
their moist rugs of moss,
duff of their soft brown carpets.
Far above, their arms are held
open wide to each other, or waving--


what they know, what
perplexities and wisdoms they exchange,
unknown to me as were the thoughts
of grownups when in infancy I wandered
into a roofed clearing amidst
human feet and legs and the massive
carved legs of the table,


the minds of people, the minds of trees
equally remote, my attention then
filled with sensations, my attention now
caught by leaf and bark at eye level
and by thoughts of my own, but sometimes
drawn to upgazing -- up and up: to wonder
about what rises
so far above me into the light.

irish trees © lucy

6 comments:

Tess said...

What a lovely synthesis of words and images. I especially love the photograph of you, dwarfed by the tree, with your arms and smile flung wide.
Enjoy your honouring.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home! One can only imagine the richness and depth that await you and others you know and love at the retreat. May blessings continue to abound!

Rebecca Johnson said...

Thinking of you and D (I think?) as you experience this fabulous weekend, your experience there supporting my own experience here. The ancestors feel very near...

Love...

Kayce aka lucy said...

tess- those irish trees are truly magical (along with the rest of the land!)

thymekeeper - it's always wonderful to hear from you. thanks for stopping by.

rebecca - dianna and i thought of you more than a couple of times this weekend as we recalled the awakening program.

love to all!

Dianna Woolley said...

I did miss this post prior to the weekend but it may be all the more poignant after the weekend of ancestor discovery we share - beautiful tree shots and DL poetry so apt!

xoxoxo

Kayce aka lucy said...

love you, SS!! xoxoxo