Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Gratitude

Oh, I feel blessed and filled with gratitude this morning. The sun is brilliant today and there is frost on the roofs. My family will begin to gather today for the Thanksgiving feast of tomorrow. We will be joined by more family and friends. Ah, it is a good feeling. Soon I will go begin the pumpkin pies and my house will fill with the aroma of my childhood. I remember coming home from school on this day always to the smell of baking pies. A little taste of heaven.

There is much to do in preparation for the arrivals and I am hoping to get outside for a walk on this glorious day. I am also keenly aware that there are people who do not have enough food, will not share their day with anyone and may not even have a roof over their heads. My heart grieves AND I realize that if I surrender to my grief and become melancholy or paralyzed then I fail to acknowledge the moments for which I am so very grateful. It is a hard balance to follow. My hope is that I will be able to do both – grieve & remember AND celebrate with gratitude. I invite you to join me in both!

If you want to talk about this
come to visit. I live in the house
near the corner, which I have named
Gratitude.
--Mary Oliver
see full poem here

Don't forget to reserve your own copy of Grace Unbound. Check it out here.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Mary Oliver is one of my all time favorite poets! Thank you for the quote and the wonderful post!
GM

Anonymous said...

I love your continuing use of AND.
AND I wish you a very happy Thanksgiving. Hugs. xx

Anonymous said...

Hey Lucy, Long time no see! I hope you have a great get together. I clicked over and read the entire poem, I loved it. Thanks.

lucy said...

thanks, GM, Patty & Tess! good to see you all!

you know, tess, the first time i heard the use of "both/and" i thought it was a little confusing, but definitely interesting idea. now, i just can't seem to stop myself. most times it feels like the only appropriate response :-) xoxo

Karen said...

I'm overflowing with gratitude right now!

Happy Thanksgiving!

His Girl Friday said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

and nicely said about gratitude! :)

Country Parson said...

How did you get that sunflower off of my computer?

Anonymous said...

hi lucy,
AND is becoming a more and more important word to me w/in the some line of thought you use it here. This world is very hard and very glorious.
so glad you could drink deeply of the gathering with family and friends.
potter

Sorrow said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and days full of abundant blessings!